OpenBlock change history¶
For more recent changes, see OpenBlock 1.2 (Released 5/23/2012).
OpenBlock 1.1.0 (October 20, 2011)¶
Due to an oversight, both obdemo and the generated custom applications prior to this release didn't include the TIME_ZONE setting. Please set settings.TIME_ZONE to an appropriate value.
As usual, install all dependencies, eg if you are upgrading a source checkout:
pip install -r ebpub/requirements.txt pip install -e ebpub pip install -r ebdata/requirements.txt pip install -e ebdata pip install -r obadmin/requirements.txt pip install -e obadmin pip install -r obdemo/requirements.txt pip install -e obdemo
As usual, sync and migrate the database:
django-admin.py syncdb django-admin.py migrate
- updaterdaemon is now deprecated. It has not been removed, but we no longer recommend or support its use. Use cron or your favorite cron alternative instead for running scrapers regularly. See the "Running Scrapers" docs. This allows us to close a bunch of tickets (#194, #51, #87, #180, #199, #222).
- removed redundant get_metro_bbox function.
- remove unused template tags: SHORT_NAME, STATE_ABBREV, EB_SUBDOMAIN.
New Features in 1.1¶
- Big shareable maps: "Explore these items on a larger map" link on all type-specific news lists. For example, http://demo.openblockproject.org/photos/filter/locations=neighborhoods,financial-district/ links to http://bit.ly/njmZT6 which is shareable via permalink. (There is also undocumented support for embedding these via iframes.)
- Comments on NewsItems. Requires logging in, and the Schema must have allow_comments=True and has_detail=True. Needs docs.
- User-contributed "Neighbor Messages" and "Neighbor Events" news types, in the ebpub.neighbornews package. Needs docs.
- Better support for running in a multi-city area:
- new get_city_locations() function to get a list of all Locations whose LocationType matches the 'city_location_type' from settings.METRO_LIST.
- --fix-cities option to block import scripts (and admin UI) that allows fixing imported blocks so block.city matches an existing overlapping city-ish Location.
- clean out intersections and streets on import, so they're regenerated safely. Optionally skip regeneration.
- some related URL bugfixes.
- Import Places from a CSV file via the admin UI. Needs docs.
- Date and time picker widgets on forms, where relevant. (#186)
- Block import supports filtering by your default metro extent, not just city name. #160
- Support for future events, not just recent news. Several scrapers support this: the ma/boston/events scraper, and the general/meetups/ scraper, and the neighbornews package. See docs in docs/packages/ebdata.rst. (Ticket #246)
- Added a scraper for Meetup.com, in ebdata/scrapers/general/meetups. It's zero-configuration: it just loops over your zip codes and finds all meetups for those. It's at ebdata/scrapers/general/meetup/meetup_retrieval.py and the associated schema can be loaded like so: django-admin.py loaddata ebdata/scrapers/general/meetup/meetup_schema.json You'll need to set MEETUP_API_KEY in settings.py. (Ticket #208)
- Add a --reset option to update_aggregates script, deletes all aggregates and starts over. (ticket #221)
- Add an ebpub/bin/delete_newsitems.py script, useful during schema development: wipes all newsitems and attributes and lookups of a given schema.
- Also add --quiet, --verbose, --dry-run, and --help command-line options to update_aggregates.
- Email alerts can now be sent via a command-line script. (related to ticket #65). Includes docs for how to set it up with cron.
- Email alert signup can be disabled by removing 'ebpub.alerts' from settings.INSTALLED_APPS. (refs ticket #65).
- obdemo includes flickr and meetup in default news types.
- Flickr scraper (ticket #26). It's at ebdata/scrapers/general/flickr/flickr_retrieval.py and the associated schema can be loaded like so: django-admin.py loaddata ebdata/scrapers/general/flickr/photos_schema.json You'll need to set FLICKR_API_KEY and FLICKR_API_SECRET in settings.py.
- Import locations from shapefiles in the admin UI (ticket #59). With documentation (ticket #234).
- Import blocks from shapefiles in the admin UI. Also populates streets, blockintersections, and intersections. (ticket #215)
- You can now set the default location type via settings.DEFAULT_LOCTYPE_SLUG. (#148)
- Add --verbose and --quiet options to a bunch of command-line scripts and scrapers.
- Don't email scraper errors by default. That's just not nice, and cron already does that.
- All provided scrapers now log to settings.SCRAPER_LOGFILE_NAME.
- Custom apps generated via paster create -t openblock now include a wsgi file for use with mod_wsgi, an alternative settings file for use with django-admin process_tasks, a skeleton cron config, executable manage.sh and manage.py files. Also, manage.sh is now better at automatically finding and activating the virtualenv.
- obdemo also includes an example cron config file, a manage.sh file, and the alt. settings file. And no longer has an example updaterdaemon config.
- Our Amazon EC2 AMI will now use cron rather than updaterdaemon. Lots of other fixes in the EC2 scripts too.
- Fixed broken map on feeds page, ticket #237.
- Added missing links to the password change form.
- CSRF protection everywhere, ticket #185. (As a side-effect we are now using JQuery 1.5.2.)
- Block import: generated names now sort numerically correctly (eg. "12-100 Main St" rather than "100-12 Main St")
- Block import: Don't try to guess right_from, right_to if not provided; that typically means there really is nothing on that side of the street.
- Boston demo: restaurant inspections scraper fixed to accomodate markup changes.
- De-hardcoded "neighborhoods" from various URLs. (#148)
- Zip code import UI has no default state (to avoid selecting Alabama by mistake).
- Zip code import now sets creation date (#233)
- Removed confusing NewsItem "About" page. (#228)
- Removed map from NewsItem list in admin UI, was too slow. (#219)
- SavedPlace now enforces that it has either a Block or a Location but not both. (#213)
- Items shown on map on schema filter page now use same filters as the items on the page. (#121)
- Support 2010 US Census tiger files (ticket #147). Use them for the Boston demo.
- Georeport / open311 scraper: support unofficial 'page' parameter (ticket #245); also, use the 'address' field for location_name if provided.
- Seeclickfix scraper: allow city & state params, don't hardcode to boston; ticket #243.
- place_detail_overview wasn't actually filtering by place.
- ajax date charts would blow up if no results found.
- Fix ticket #77: Now filtering news by item_date instead of pub_date since that's the date that's shown and used for aggregates.
- Fix "show/hide" buttons on place detail page and account page. (tickets #204, #115, 236)
- Fixed bug that caused many "Unknown" locations in location charts. (ticket #192). And removed "unknowns" entirely from the chart.
- Locations weren't capitalized on some pages. (ticket #202)
- Several bounds-related errors in Location import fixed (thanks to Bret Walker).
- Scrapers that create timezone-aware datetimes no longer blow up.
- GeoReport scraper: scrape a reasonable amount of days, not 60 every darn time. And do pagination (ticket #245)
- Georss scraper: Had the forwards / backwards coordinate test reversed :-
- Georss scraper: Skip items with no location_name.
- Fix some migration ordering bugs.
- parse_date no longer blows up if you feed it a date or datetime instance.
- CSS fixes for ajax date charts on location overview page.
- Lots more docs about loading geographic data.
- Document email configuration. (ticket #205)
- Document what you get when doing paster create -t openblock.
- More docs about running on Amazon EC2.
- Describe differences from Everyblock
- More help_text added to several Model fields, so admin UI is slightly more self-documenting.
- Many many minor updates and tweaks.
- Upgraded to OpenLayers 2.11. (ticket #250)
- Upgraded to Django 1.3.1.
- Upgraded to JQuery 1.5.2.
- Removed some unused template tags (SHORT_NAME, STATE_ABBREV, EB_SUBDOMAIN).
- Removed old version of map popups code.
OpenBlock 1.0.1 (Sept 7 2011)¶
This was a minor bugfix (and docs) release, and was mostly identical to 1.0.0.
- The georss scraper now gets coordinates in the right order on the first try, and populates location_name if it falls back to geocoding.
- Fix date formatting on newsitem-detail page. (ticket #201)
- The import_blocks_tiger and import_blocks_esri scripts had a circular import.
- Fix a broken doctest in bootsrap.py.
- Better handling of unicode in ebdata.textmining.
- Added docs for cloning an EC2 instance from our Amazon AMI.
- Document the scrapers that ship out-of-the-box with ebdata.
- Remove nonexistent --city option from geodata docs.
- Changed docs theme for easier navigation.
OpenBlock 1.0.0 (August 30, 2011)¶
If you originally installed, or already upgraded to, OpenBlock 1.0 Beta, you may skip the rest of this section.
If you have an existing database that was built with 1.0a1 or earlier, you'll need to run this command to deal with the removal of the "django-apikey" dependency:
django-admin.py migrate apikey 0001 --fake
Many data-loading scripts that were scattered all over the source tree are now installed into your environment's bin directory, so they should be on your $PATH. Documentation has been updated accordingly.
As usual, you should always run after upgrading:
django-admin.py syncdb --migrate
If you were unlucky and had last migrated with a git checkout including migrations that later got renamed or removed, you may get errors from migrating. In that case try adding the --delete-ghost-migrations option.
Alias /olwidget/ /home/openblock/openblock/src/django-olwidget/
We now require Django 1.3. This probably doesn't have any impact on you. (ticket #155).
MAP_BASELAYER_TYPE can now be any base layer supported by olwidget, eg. "google.streets". (Some require other settings for eg. API keys; see ebpub/settings_default.py for comments and examples.)
You can add custom base layers to your maps by creating the dictionary settings.MAP_CUSTOM_BASE_LAYERS. See ebpub/settings_default.py for an example.
This replaces the WMS_URL setting from openblock 1.0a1 which is no longer supported.
New Features in 1.0¶
- ticket #33: Different map icons for different news item types. To use this, you can use the admin UI to configure "map icon url" or "map color" for a Schema.
- ticket #85: Added streets.PlaceType model for categorizing Places. These also can have individual colors or icon URLs on the /maps/ view. (Original ticket title was "'Landmark' location type")
- ticket #142: JSON push API for news items. See docs/main/api.rst
- ticket #187: REST API standard features: API key provisioning; require keys (or auth) for POST / DELETE; throttling
- Import US Zip Codes as Locations, via the admin UI.
- Work-in-progress: user-submitted content. See code in the ebpub/neighbornews app.
- Work-in-progress: Maps you can share just by copy/pasting a URL. For a sneak preview, browse to /maps/.
- Much better admin UI maps. (ticket #140: Bad admin UI for GeometryFields)
- ticket #72: unify NewsItem.attributes and NewsItem.attribute_values
- ticket #52: Proper validation for Street Misspellings in admin
- ticket #157: fill in normalized name automatically
- ticket #123: Configurable base layer should apply to admin UI maps too
This is not a complete list; not all bugs fixed in this release were ticketed.
- Fix #172: schema_detail view blows up (TypeError) if there are no NewsItems in the last 30 days, but there is a matching AggregateLocation. (That shouldn't happen, but evidently did with some boston demo schemas; also fixed a related possible off-by-one error that may have been a factor.)
- Schema filter page: don't say 'You might want to try...' if there's nothing to try.
- Fix bug where scrapers that create timezone-aware datetimes blow up
- Fix errors in bounds checking in location importers, thanks to Bret Walker.
- Fix missing import in Place admin
- Fixed several bugs where django-nose (optional) would try to run some things that aren't tests.
- ticket #110: Fix infinite loop if newsitem.schema.has_newsitem_detail is False but newsitem.url is empty; give 404 instead.
- Importers should now not blow up if run more than once.
- ticket #22: Scraper scripts in everyblock/cities/boston mostly don't work OOTB
- ticket #79: Geotagging oddity
- ticket #188: items.json doesn't include location_name
- ticket #200: "obdemo bin scripts are documented, but don't get installed when installing obdemo non-editable"
- ticket #80: Documentation for Street Misspellings
- ticket #162: Document pip / easy_install workarounds
- ticket #139: Document adding database user / granting database access
- ticket #198: version number in documentation
- ticket #197: documentation for deploying static media
- Fix outdated paths to example scrapers.
- Fix location of get_or_create_lookup
- Note differences from everyblock
- ticket #181: Prepare packages for distribution on pypi.
- ticket #83: Split out non-core packages into a separate download (ebblog, ebwiki, ebgeo, ebinternal, and everyblock are now at https://github.com/openplans/openblock-extras )
- ticket #156: Removing lots of clustering code that's totally unused.
- remove a redundant get_metro_bbox function from ebpub.utils.geodjango; use get_default_bounds(), does the same thing.
OpenBlock 1.0 beta (August 18, 2011)¶
This was largely identical to 1.0.0 described above, modulo a few small bug fixes.
OpenBlock 1.0 alpha 1 (June 9, 2011)¶
This was the first numbered release; too many changes since the "ebcode" source dump to enumerate.
- Out-of-the-box theme, with maps.
- REST API
- Enable the Django admin UI
- Embeddable widgets that you can configure via the admin UI
- Lots more documentation